Thursday 23 July 2009

To plinth or not to plinth ...

English is a living language, so the invention of a new noun "plinther" (plural: "plinthers") can also, I think, mean that there is a new verb: to plinth:

I plinth
you (singular) plinth
he, she or it plinths

we plinth
you (plural) plinth
they plinth.

Or, in the past tense:

I plinthed
you (singular) plinthed
he, she or it plinthed

we plinthed
you (plural) plinthed
they plinthed.

This link gives you an introduction to what this is all about; the live video stream is here.

Of course, St Symeon got there long ago, long before "plinthing" was even thought of.

All of which is a long way round saying that, at 8 am on Sunday morning, I will NOT be on the plinth.... but someone I know will!

At the moment I have only a hearsay account of what his "act" will be, but something about the transition from work to retirement ....

As I write this post, I am watching the video stream. Some hints:

take an umbrella with you - to protect you from the rain or the sun, as both are likely to be hazardous!

if you receive any mobile phone calls while you are plinthing, remember that the plinth is both microphoned and videod (from all angles, and with a zoom function) - so the whole of the WWW will listen to your side of the conversation.

No comments: