Sunday 21 June 2009

Sanctus, Sanctus, Sanctus

I heard the "Sanctus" from the Missa Luba on the radio during breakfast this morning, and thought it would be quite a nice way to start a Sunday.

This is not the recording I heard, but I think this is the best I can find on Youtube. The Sanctus is at 4:45 if you want to skip the Credo.

This clip shows the Sanctus being sung in 2007 outside the Royal Festival Hall in London by the in-house choir of the South Bank Centre. One lives and learns - but the idea of Jarvis Cocker having a setting of the Sanctus as one of his favourite pieces of music is rather out of the box, to say the least. Voicelab were asked by him to sing this piece as the opening of his music festival.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was the Mass setting my mum used to play during Sunday morning breakfasts! Before I was in the Cathedral choir and had to be in church at 8.30, that is :)

It makes the sun come out.

alban said...

Listening to the Missa Luba on the links you provide sent me scouring through my cd collection - but to no avail, even though I know I have (had) a copy. I've found a music shop in town and will purchase a new cd this weekend. Completely agree with veniteadoramus; the Missa Luba makes the sun come out :)

Joe said...

As a bit of a stray thought - and in my custom of always trying to make something simple more complicated - does the Missa Luba provide a good model of what "inculturation" might mean in a Liturgical context?