Saturday 3 January 2009

The Holy Name of Jesus

A few months ago, one of the "mums" who regularly comes to Children's Adoration in the parish asked me to include a catechesis about the pious practice of bowing one's head at the name of Jesus.

I was reminded of this as I read one of the books I received at Christmas the other day. It is by Stuart Maconie (who I usually switch off when he turns up on Radio 2), and is called Pies and Prejudice: In Search of the North. He has a passing observation about Liverpool's Roman Catholic Cathedral: it is "a piece of sixties concrete psychedelia known as Paddy's Wigwam". The "Paddy's Wigwam" I remembered from childhood days, but "concrete psychedelia" was new on me. Much earlier in the book, Stuart Maconie makes a reference to "the way Catholics involuntarily nod after uttering the word Jesus". That definitely shows a Lancashire Catholic upbringing!

Today's feast day could perhaps be an opportunity to renew this rather nice devotional practice, and make it a conscious act of amendment for the very many occasions when the name of Jesus is taken in vain.

No comments: