Saturday 13 December 2008

Rosary meme

I was asked to do this a few days ago. When I got my camera out to take the required photographs yesterday, it wouldn't work. A change of batteries, and it still wouldn't work. Hence imagination required, at least for two of the rosaries involved..
UPDATE: the camera has decided to work today (Saturday afternoon).


1. The Rosary I usually use is one purchased about a year ago from Aid to the Church in Need.




2. My "next oldest" is a one-decade Rosary ring, part of the pilgrim's pack from the 2005 World Youth Day in Cologne. Now faded in colour wooden beads on a small cord, made if I recall rightly, in the Holy Land for the World Youth Day pilgrims. [See the end of this post. If we hadn't gone in 2005, we would have been even further out of the age bracket by 2008!]


3. My only other Rosary is one purchased at Pluscarden Abbey, when I stayed there during the Jubilee Year 2000. I was at the time trying to find myself a new crucifix for my home, to be my "Jubilee Year crucifix". I wasn't being successful at that, so the Rosary came instead. Found a San Damiano crucifix for my flat a couple of years later, after visiting Assisi.

They all live in a pocket of the ruck sack that I usually take out with me. Handy to have the spares with me if someone has lost hers ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zero says
you could now be deluged with Rosaries this Christmas when you could do with a new camera!You may not have had the camera that long but it certainly got plenty of use.
There are bargains to be had on Amazon...
I am goling to town shortly and will say my Rosary as i walk.

la mamma said...

Heh, Joe, I've been lusting after the Chinese-made ACN rosary for about a year now and saw it's still in their catalogue. It's a good'un, is it? Is that it on the right in your picture? It seems darker there than in the catalogue.

I just have the one Rosary. I did have another (from ACN, blessed by JPII) but gave it away. I refrained from buying the ACN Rosary you've pictured here because I figured that - multi-tasker that I am - even I can't say more than one Rosary at a time but it seems that world and his wife has more than one set. Perhaps I'm inspired to keep up with the Joneses...

Have you been back to Pluscarden since 2000? It holds a special place in my heart.

Joe said...

I, too, wondered about the concept of having more than one Rosary! Some people just seem to keep on collecting ....

I have been back to Pluscarden since 2000 - for Holy Week and Easter a couple of times. I missed last year, and will miss again this year, because of going to my union's annual conference, which falls in Holy Week.