Sunday 12 October 2008

Hands up if you want to be a catechist!

From a parish newsletter this weekend:

Catechists What does this word mean? Simply put, those who pass on the faith to others. In effect this is all of US. We need more people who would be committed to pass on the faith to children, young adults and adults. There are many excuses. None of us have any time to spare! Yet we can make time for all sorts of social events. At present we definitely need more Catechists (faith helpers) for the Confirmation programme. If you can help in any way please contact Fr a.s.a.p.

Am I the only person who finds this an utterly inadequate way to choose catechists in a parish?

There is also a 'Course for Catechists' that begins on Tuesday 4th November ...There are eight sessions for the timetable that finishes on 13th June. It would be wonderful if any parishioner would like to join this course. The parish will pay.

I would have thought it better to train as a catechist before starting working in a parish - and that is before any consideration is given to the quality/content of the diocesan training being offered. Ah, but if your catechist is a "faith helper" rather than someone who teaches the faith, and therefore needs to know the faith and have some idea about how to teach it, then I don't suppose it matters too much ....

Perhaps I should offer the parish priest a copy of the General Directory for Catechesis - and the prospective Confirmation candidates a complementary copy of the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church ....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think the priest would welcome your offer of the copy of The general directory for Catechesis. I believe people with a little Theology would be invaluable as Catechists...

Anonymous said...

Hm, last time I checked the catechist formation programme here was almost parallel to that of the permanent deacons.

And because of that... Pick me! Pick me! *bounces*

I hope the sisters enrol me at Maryvale the day I enter :) But I'll probably have to wait two years.

Joe said...

Anonymous (who is referring to the said priest's observation at Masses last weekend that it would be good if the catechist volunteers had a "little theology"):

I think the key word here is "little". I suspect it disqualifies me completely ....

Anonymous said...

WARNING TO CLERGY READING THIS BLOG
Your weekly newsletters are read and maybe coming under scrutiny from people outside your parish!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure "alot" would be even more welcome than a little! I think you would be more than suitable although it could mean your devotion to your blog -which i'm sure your "Legions" find very educational-would slip due to pressure of time.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, that's a good one.

And yes, a feeling we sometimes get over here, too. Some priests went all red over our catechetical mini-efforts, saying we shouldn't be doing stuff like that... but then they don't offer anything in return.

Theological knowledge must be scary or something.

After all, how much do you need to understand that God Is Love and so is your neighbour? :)

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Although I have a rather ancient degree in Divinity I was considering enrolling on Maryvale's cathechist course this year...but I think it's quite a huge responsibility really & probably have enough on my plate! If you're at Maryvale say hi to my brother Stuart who works there..

Joe said...

Jackie

One of the things I find frustrating about the way people are often drawn in to parish catechetics without any training is that I am very aware of the sheer amount of work students at Maryvale do on courses like the Parish Catechists course! Let alone the BA Applied Theology.

It's not that I think big (academic) hurdles should be put in the way of people working as catechists in parishes, but some basic level of knowledge and competence should be provided - familiarity with the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church perhaps being a simple way of defining that level.