Monday 13 April 2009

This is heaven ....


6 oz plain flour, 6 oz medium oatmeal, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg:

4 oz butter, 3 oz soft brown sugar, 4 oz treacle, 6 oz golden syrup - warmed and stirred:


1 egg, 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda and 1/4 pint of milk:
Contents of pan and jug added to the contents of the bowl, and mixed thoroughly:

And after 45 minutes (recipe says 1 hour, but this will depend on your oven - my oven is electric, fan assisted and I have the cooking time down to just over 40 minutes) at 150 degrees Centigrade:


Behold ... Parkin.


Now, there are some delicate steps in this process - like how to get golden syrup and treacle from their tins to the weighing scales, and from the scales into the pan, without "trails" across the work surface; and how to watch the clock carefully for that 40 minutes mark. And I leave you to imagine just how sticky the washing up is while the cake itself is cooking!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can vouch for it-this is Heavenly!I hadn't thought of measuring treacle and syrup in terms of ounces(by the way I thought you had gone Metric)I'm surprised the recipe didn't measure them in tablespoons.
I enjoyed a slice tonight and gave my aunt a slice as she went off home I didn't exactly begrudge her it but...