Thursday 31 January 2008

School tips on anti-gay bullying

The UK news media is today profiling guidance for schools and teachers on tackling homophobic bullying. The relevant Government department, now called the Department for Children, Schools and Families, clearly in the interests of balance and fairness, commissioned a well known pro-gay organisation (sorry, I am not going to give them a name check, but you should not find it difficult to guess who) to prepare this advice.
My own trade union's news release on this ends with the following sentence: "We would like to see concerted and joined-up action between the DSCF [Department for Schools, Children and Families] and DIUS [Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills] to challenge and change our heterosexist culture. " My own opposition to my union's policy on this matter is well known among those who lead the union, and I am still at a complete loss as to how I can successfully remove a heterosexist assumption from teaching a reproduction topic in science at school.
Will the Government now commission the Catholic Bishop's Conference to prepare advice for publicly funded organisations on tackling anti-Catholic prejudice?

1 comment:

FatherTF said...

Excellently put, Joseph - congratulations on a good new blog. I have just linked to it over at mine.