Sunday 5 July 2009

Participation of the lay faithful at the Extraordinary Form

There is a post at Catholic Rights referring to the call for greater participation by the lay faithful in the celebration of Mass - by Pope St Pius X. I think it makes an interesting contribution to the discussion of "mutual enrichment" between the two forms of the Roman Rite - and, indeed, its suggestion could be seen as an example of a "hermeneutic of continuity" in this field. I have vague memories of my Mother referring to the "dialogue Mass" - as a teenager she was a member of the Young Christian Workers, and was probably more in touch with new developments in the Church than was typical of her generation.

1 comment:

Joseph said...

It's odd how fierce an attachment some traditionalists have to a very particular form of celebrating the Mass, and indeed one that is relatively new--the "low Mass" in its modern (last few centuries) form.

I myself didn't have much attraction to the traditional form until I experience the Solemn High Mass, which has dialogue in yet another manner than the simple spoken dialogue Mass.